THERE ARE GHOSTS!! I'VE SEEN THEM.

The day I saw a ghost on one of America's airbases in Norfolk...

Saturday 28 March 2009

THERE ARE GHOSTS!! I'VE SEEN THEM.

I have lived in Norfolk. Mainly around the old air bases once used during the
war by the Americans. Once I drove out to small villages such as Tibenham,
Old Buckingham, Thorpe Abbots, Hardwick and Seething just to name a few
south of Norwich. Most of those stations have long gone disappeared under
the grass or cleared to bring back the fields again. Some old runways and
perimeter track remain in airfields but if you didn't know the history, you
would not know they were once there. If you get one of the old airfield books
and see how it was, you can possibly drive around and pick a few features
out, such as nissun huts and buildings. Those airfields that were once so
very busy during a two year period in the war and were lively bases for
airmen and visiting locals still have a atmospheric feel about them. On some
days when the summer is moody or when the winter is dark and chilly
you can step out onto one of those disused runways and feel like you are not
alone. You become aware of the history and the sacrifices that were made,
the remains of artwork left by some young men on the walls of the huts
especially at Seething. Seething still has a tower and this is used now as a
museum displaying uniforms, photographs, parts of planes, radio equipment
etc etc. This tower is open almost every Sunday and though most veterans
have stopped coming now local enthusiasts have kept the airfield as it used
to be surrounded however, by acres of field, as it used to be before the thick
layers of concrete was laid all those years ago. Some airfields you can't find
anything other than the odd bunker or nissun and all looking in a forlorn
state. One day in late summer, just as the shadows were thickening on
one of these deserted airfields called Deopham Green, I stepped out from my
car and crossed what was left of its runway and just felt so exposed as no
trees or shrubs had grown since the land was levelled in I943. No one was
around and the open expanse brought a chill wind and you could almost
feel and hear the flying fortresses moving around. Very much like in the
film 'Aces High'. After some minutes I could not help but feel a presence,
and when I turned about I saw a figure about a hundred yards away, not
moving, facial features fixed and eyes looking to the smokey skies. At first
my brain raced to wonder who this farmer was, but then I noticed the
flying gear and typical helmet and boots. At that point, I went cold all over
with a freezing tingle at the back of my neck. I was determined to be sure,
and not panic; I watched and blinked and watched, but the person did not
move nor look at me. Then slowly, the figure disolved.
I went back to the base two years later. I never felt quite the same feelings
as I did before but had an empathy for these surroundings and a desire to
know more about Deopham Green and all that served there. I went back
again six months later and spoke finally with the owner of the land. He
was quick to tell me that he too had seen this apparition along with several
other locals. There were other sightings. Most of the Norfolk airfields
now have plaques and memorials which has seen a huge decline in recent
sightings. Lost souls finally at rest? The pilot I had presumably spotted
had returned from a mission it seems, and had to take part in a crash
landing - some of the crew had bailed out over Germany due to a feathered
engine. The three remaining crew members decided to stay and take their
chances and had landed the plane on the perimeter track but they did not
survive the impact. I will never forget my experience.


keywords: Books: Wartime Norfolk. Americans in East Anglia. Old airfields
of East Anglia. Norfolk Ghosts. Blickling Hall. Haunted places in Norfolk.
Haunted airfields. Flights to Norwich. Accomodation. Norfolk Broads.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

c') 3f3')